Monday, April 25, 2005

Jon Tupaz

When God feels like partying with us mortals down here on earth, He assumes the form of a DJ. And he goes by the name Jon Tupaz.

Last Friday night, on our way home in our car, I chanced upon a mix set by famous Philippine DJ Jon Tupaz on the radio. I believe it was partly to promote a major party happening the following weekend at the Metrowalk. An 80's party featuring some 80's bands alongside some 80's DJs. And when you say 80's DJ, no one could have ever come close to the Jon Tupaz.

Jon Tupaz was a god for me when I was still learning how to mix. I remember having his mixtapes back in high school and I would desperately try my best to imitate his mix sets. He was simply phenomenal on the decks. Way back then, I have attended countless parties held in various clubhouses here in the metro where he was the DJ. He made DJ mixing sound so effortless. And hearing him once again on the radio spinning tunes that are all too familiar with Gen-Xers like myself, simply brings back the memories.

Maybe I'll drop by Metrowalk this weekend. Maybe I'll get the chance to hear him spin live once again.

After all, deep inside, I am still a fan.

No comments: