Sunday, April 24, 2005

Volleyball = Powerplay

Summer season in the Philippines has always been associated with ligas or sportsfests. Generally, there are two sports which dominate these sportsfests -- basketball and volleyball. Take our village for example. We have ongoing sportsfests in basketball and volleyball for residents, both the young and the not-so-young. And I, trying to bring back the athleticism that has been seemingly lost for quite some time, joined the volleyball tournament. So, for now, my badminton game has taken a backseat for a while.

In line with my volleyball mindset, I am currently watching a volleyball game on TV. I believe it's a replay of the Philippines vs. Indonesia match held a few weeks ago in Cebu City. Watching those jumpserves, the power spikes, and the playmaking tactics of the setters pumps up the adrenaline in my system. The volleyball fever has stricken me. How I wish I could still try to imitate those plays. Wishful thinking. I know.

Volleyball, in my honest opinion, is a power game more than basketball is. The Jordan wannabes, the LeBron play-alikes, and other macho players of basketball in this basketball-crazy country may disagree with me. After all, since we were young, volleyball has been associated with sissies and gay people. Back in grade school, the common thinking was if you are not good enough or tall enough to join the basketball team, better try out for the volleyball team.

But when you get to watch real competitive volleyball, let's say collegiate volleyball at least, you would know what I mean. Once that leather spheroid gets airborne, no one among the 12 players oncourt can take his concentration away from the game for just a single second. No one would want to get hit by the ball in the face and suffer a broken nose, right? Once that ball goes into play, there goes a series of digs, dives, tosses, tremendous vertical leaps, power spikes, quick spikes, feints, fakes and blocks. Backliners should always be alert and quick-reflexed on defense. While frontliners should always be ready for a series of leaps which could rival the vertical jump of any slam-dunking basketball player in the NBA. And the cerebral setter may be volleyball's equivalent of the point guard in basketball. Volleyball is a game of power, athleticism, quickness and smarts. It's not a game for sissies.

So, the next time I step into that volleyball court, I hope to remember what these guys I'm watching on TV are doing. I know I can't be like them. But at least, I can try to remember how this game is supposed to be played. It is powerplay.

No comments: