Thursday, December 15, 2005

Chivalry and Gucci

The Christmas shopping rush is running on its homestretch. I'm pretty sure that a lot of you shall be out these coming days to battle it out with the rest of the shopping public. Here's a reminder to the guys who will be accompanying their wives or girlfriends who are shopping; whether it be in Greenhills, or Divisoria, or Rustan's, or at your local malls.

Carrying your wife's or GF's handbag or shoulder bag is just plain UNCOOL!

I've seen it a million times - guys trying their version of chilvalry by carrying their ladies' shoulder bags when shopping. If you think you are helping revive chivalry by carrying your lady's Gucci bag, think again. Chivalry is defined as the qualities idealized by knighthood, such as bravery, courtesy, honor, and gallantry toward women. I doubt if a knight would want to be caught dead carrying a shoulder bag.

Picture yourself, tagging along your lady, in public, carrying her handbag or shoulder bag. Looks chivalrous to you? Looks gay to me.

My wife and I just stare at each other everytime we see such a scene. I'm lucky I have a wife who understands such things. She even promised me that never would she ask me to carry her shoulder bag for her. We both understand that it's perfectly okay to help a lady carry the shopping bags during a marathon shopping spree at the mall. That - is chivalrous.

But you know those bags which she contemplates on every morning as to which would fit her outfit? Those are personal girly stuff you have no right meddling with.

So, for the girls out there with clueless husbands or boyfriends, do them a favor. Do not let them carry your handbags or shoulder bags. Just hand them the shopping bags instead. That way, they'll feel useful being able to help you carry those heavy stuff.

Chivalry is not yet dead. But I don't think he wants to go shopping with Gucci.

2 comments:

arGlene said...

I simply cannot fathom why such girls do this to their husbands or boyfriends. What are they trying to point out? And you're right, it's not a showmanship of chivalry. It's not even gentlemanly. It's too shallow to be regarded as such.

I would say that tagging along with HIS girl while shopping, painstakingly waiting until she finds the best buy (not to mention paying for them!!!) is chivalrous he he

BTW, have a meaningful and merry Christmas! =)

A.R.Martinez said...

My "tagging along" with my wife when shopping has a very short time limit. I really cannot imagine where you girls get the energy to roam about endlessly when shopping.

Merry Christmas to you, too, r-glen!