Monday, February 13, 2006

B (Manilow) On Helium

I just tried to search the net if there was a holiday yesterday like maybe the International Tone Deaf Day. Search produced zilch. No such holiday yesterday here in the Philippines, or anywhere in the world.

I’m still wondering what the hell happened yesterday at the party of one of our neighbors. You see, from time to time, our peaceful community gets scandalized by those loud videoke machines that one can rent on a daily basis. And yesterday was one of those days as a neighbor held a videoke party by his garage.

One of the guests was B, one of the more colorful characters in our village. Already in his late thirties, I strongly believe that the term KSP was invented because of him. And I also strongly believe that he comes from a family who are all tone deaf. Coz if someone who really cared for him told him the harsh truth, he wouldn’t dare sing another song and he would drop his dream of becoming the village concert artist.

Imagine this. At 11AM, as soon as the rented videoke machine arrived, B started his performance with the gayest performance of an Eraserheads classic. He followed it up with two more classic OPM songs to warm up his vocal chords. Then, he rested for about 3 songs. And when he resumed, there really was no stopping him.

From that whole afternoon until around 10PM when the party broke off, B probably hogged the microphone 80% of the time. I couldn’t care less since it wasn’t my party anyway. But I really couldn’t help noticing his singing as his voice was competing with the audio of the TV program my wife and I were watching. He was Barry Manilow on helium. And what was worse was that he's more tone deaf than the worst singers of the defunct That’s Entertainment teen show.

Yesterday, I was just waiting for B to sing "My Way". Had that happened, I would instead be searching the web today for a news item about the latest victim of the My Way curse.

No comments: