Saturday, July 23, 2005

FX Driver

I have been driving since I was 18. I still remember that fateful first day. Just a few days after my 18th birthday. My cousin accompanied me to the Mandaluyong office of the LTO to get my Driver's License. No glitches. Right that day I was already legally allowed to drive my car down the streets of Manila.

From the LTO, I dropped off my cousin somewhere in EDSA. And then I was unleashed. Unleashed in the urban maze that was Metro Manila. It was my first time to drive along EDSA -- on my own. And man, was I so terrified.

I still had to attend my classes that day. And I was just praying that I reach the campus with my car still in one piece. Just follow every traffic rule. Stay away from those ruthless bus drivers along EDSA. And do not be in such a hurry. It's better to be late for my first class that day than be traumatized by a car accident for the rest of my life.

Thank God, I was able to survive that first day.

But now, I am already a hardened road warrior. I can now take on those buses snaking their way along the highways. EDSA is now peanuts for me. When I want a harder driving challenge, I go to the pier area and race with the trailer trucks there. I have even perfected the act of the stare down which always comes in handy for those stupid taxi drivers.

And just this afternoon, I drove my wife on her way to her haircut appointment. As I masterfully maneuvered our vehicle down traffic, weaving in and out the lanes, my wife just told me,

Grabeh! You now drive like an FX driver! Tsk, tsk tsk...

She may have a point.

No comments: