Monday, July 25, 2005

SONA (Fashion) Review

It was a special non-working holiday today here in Metro Manila. It was the President's State Of The Nation Address, or SONA for short. First time that a holiday was declared due to a SONA. The President may have wanted the people in Metro Manila to watch her speech on TV. Or she may have simply wanted fewer people on the streets to avoid further chaos if the situation heats up. Whatever the reason is, my wife really didn't care. It became an extra day of rest and pampering. It was manicure and pedicure day.

I was able to fetch my wife from the salon just in time for the SONA. Being the politically-aware citizens that we are, my wife and I sat down on our sofa in front of the TV to watch the political hoopla unfolding in Congress.

While watching events like this, my wife automatically shifts to fashion police mode. But this time, she was disappointed with the seemingly low-key fashion statements of the matronas of Congress for this SONA. None of the pabonggahan in ternos and jewelry for these ladies who used to make this event their own version of the Academy Awards. The current political crisis really has affected various aspects of the Filipino's life. Bad, bad, bad.

GMA arrived wearing a blue Filipiniana dress which her Mom, former First Lady of the Republic, Eva Macapagal, used to own. My wife educates me by telling me that it is called a panuelo. And my wife just loved the necklace that GMA wore as the perfect accessory. At least, GMA became the saving grace for fashion this afternoon. This was opposed to the numerous times when my wife would curse the President's stylists for her dull and boring outfits on special events such as this.

Then, GMA started delivering her 23-minute speech in front of Congress.

And barely five minutes into the SONA, my wife was already positioning my head comfortably as I began to snore.

So much for being a politically-aware citizen for me.

No comments: