Saturday, January 28, 2006

Discover Philippines

One television commercial made me realize one thing - that I have a lot more places to visit and discover here in my home country.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, try watching the boobtube. I am talking about the new TV commercial by Smart, in cooperation with the Department of Tourism. The one where Regine Velasquez sings the Biyahe Tayo song.

A church inside a cave-like structure. Well, firstly I am not sure if it really is a church. But I did see what looked like church pews in one shot. And it seems that it is located inside a spacious rock-formation.

Zebras and giraffes running in the wild. I am not talking about Manila Zoo animals here. The shots of these animals suggest that they are freely roaming around in the wild.

A very picturesque lighthouse. I think I know where this one is located 'coz I remember watching a TV feature on that particular lighthouse. Can someone please verify if this is the one located in Ilocos' northern-most tip?

The raging waters and the waterfalls. I have seen quite a few waterfalls here in the Philippines. But I don't think I've been to that one shot in the commercial. It doesn't look like a high waterfall, but it is a wide one with the power of the raging waters making it look like a small Niagara falls.

The old baroque church with a facade which looks like it is made up of reddish clay. Our Bisita Iglesia itinerary this coming Holy week includes those old churches around Laguna de Bay. I am not sure if we would pass by this one. But I do hope that I get to visit that church some time soon.

Windmill power genarators. It is such a shame that when I saw the windmills, what came to my mind was San Francisco. 'Coz they looked exactly the same as the windmills that one passes by when taking a drive from LA to SF. But this one definitely is in the Philippines.

Help me out here, blogmates. If you know any of the places shot in the commercial, please let me know thru the comments section. I would surely want to visit those places in my lifetime. There is nothing like discovering new places in you very own country.

I promise to share pictures with you if and when I get to visit any of these places.

5 comments:

arGlene said...

When I discovered "The Travel Show" in Studio 23, that became my fave show on earth. The title of the show speaks for itself.

I'm not sure if the one in commercial is that lighthouse in Cagayan, the oldest actually in the country.

Watching the show makes me love the Philippines more. I plan to explore one a time the beautiful places here, with enough moolahs. he he

Palagi ko sinasabi, sana after that Smart commercial, me sumunod na airlines, showcasing cheap airfares all thoughout the country. Nakakalungkot isipin, ang hirap maging turista sa sariling bansa natin.

Anonymous said...

I think the caves can be found in Palawan. And I've also heard of a wildlife sanctuary that can be found in Palawan too.

Anonymous said...

The scene with giraffes and zebras were shot in Calauit Preserve and Wildlife Sanctuary in Calauit Palawan. From Coron Palawan, mga 3-4 hours drive pa, di pa developed yung dadaanan na tipong may mga sirang bridges (so rerouting to the max) pero sulit naman once you reached the area. Nagpunta kami don May of last year. Don’t know if may development sa dadaanan. I think, Asian Spirit lang ang may byahe papuntang Coron.

Meron ding mga usa, bearcat, mousedear. You can feed them esp the giraffes. Mailap ang zebras. Hehe. It was like experiencing a slice of Africa in the Philippines. Try nyo ring mag-ikot ng Coron. The best at enchanting ang islang yon.

Happy Summer!!!

A.R.Martinez said...

Thanks for the info. Palawan is definitely one of the summer destinations I've been dreaming of.

Pretty soon, I hope. Pretty soon...

ynseng said...

true... there'e so much more to discover in this country. i'm trying to rack my brain for memories of this commercial...

my hubby told me the zebras/giraffes were transported from africa by no less than imelda marcos. i'm not sure why. we should be proud of our MANY endemic species...

if i'm not mistaken, the lighthouse is cape bojeador lighthouse in burgos, ilocos norte. its along the road to pagudpud beach. let me know if you wanna see photos of our ilocos trip (pagudpud/paoay/vigan).

i think the barouque church you mentioned is paoay church, also in ilocos. also in the photos.

i read about the windmills in ilocos norte a few weeks/months(?) after our ilocos trip. definitely not in our photos.

by the way, i think laguna is a great place for visita iglesia. we visited some churches there in my humanities class fieldtrip.

i'll look forward to the photos you promised...