Thursday, January 26, 2006

Tuition Tees

Back in the late 80’s, a shirt thought up by a group of graduating seniors from my university had this rather braggart print (and we wonder why people call us elitists, duh):


FRONT:
This shirt cost my parents P 48,742.85

BACK:
…and I am worth every cent of it.


It was a time when a semester’s tuition fee from the other colleges and universities would only cost around P 1,000 to P 2,000. Looking back, what the hell was I thinking by asking my parents to let me study there? We were just a common middle class family with both parents working their butts off to be able to send their children to school. But I guess being a member of a very small family with only one other sibling has its advantages.

Fastforward to the present. I just learned that to be able to send a child to grade school in an exclusive school here in the Metro would mean shelling out around P 60,000 a year just for tuition fees alone. Whew! How fast time flies. And how fast tuition fees increase.

I have already made the computations long ago. With the current rate tuition fees hike up every year, it is a fair estimate that they would double up every six to seven years. And I have been fairly accurate with my estimates. I graduated from college with my last semester costing my parents around P15,000. That was 14 years ago. From what I heard last year from a friend who teaches there, a semester’s tuition fee already costs P60,000 easily.

So if I would have a child born today, I should prepare myself to cough up roughly P 250,000 to P 400,000 a semester for his college degree.

Funny, that shirt will surely take on a totally different meaning 20 years from now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lalo pang tataas ang tuition kasi ang bagong govt regulation pwede magtaas kahit walang consultation sa parents, students at sa gov't kung ang tuition increase ay below inflation rate. hindi pa kasama sa monitoring ng gov't ang miscellaneous fees/other fees na mataas din ang presyo

A.R.Martinez said...

Yup, that's the harsh reality we are facing. Now, who said that education is a right, and not a privilege?