Sunday, January 22, 2006

Super Boxing Sunday

In the spirit of the Super Bowl Sunday tradition, my wife and I hosted our very first Super Boxing Sunday earlier today here in our humble home. The big event? The Pacquiao – Morales boxing re-match.

We invited our friends over. Call time was set at 10AM. But considering that most of us attended a birthday party the night before, most of the guys started coming in at around 11AM. But it was okay, it was still early since the Paquaio – Morales match started past 12 noon as aired by ABS-CBN on a slightly delayed basis.

There was barbeque, the staple food in any Super Bowl gathering. But unlike the usual Super Bowl Sunday, there was no beer served earlier. We’ve had enough alcohol from the night before. Barbeque food, a wide screen TV plus a couple of friends – those were all we needed for this Super Boxing Sunday.

Everything was going smoothly as we ate lunch while the match started. That was until our cellphones started beeping. You could actually guess the messages coming in one after another. These are the killjoy A-holes who want to spoil your viewing pleasure by informing you of the results of the match. Maybe some of them had pay-per-view. Maybe some of them watched it at Rockwell or at the SM Cinemas. Or maybe some of them had relatives from the States who texted the results to them. I don’t really care. I intentionally did not read my text messages for more than two hours coz I knew I would receive those kinds of messages.

Some of my friends weren’t so lucky. They unwillingly knew the results from text messages from people they knew. One friend of mine even got the text from a priest friend. Can you actually believe it? A priest doing the spoiling for you?! Oh, men. Thankfully, my friends didn’t spoil it for us. They still watched the match with us, just keeping quiet while the rest of us shouted and rejoiced for every punch Pacquiao connected.

And some weren’t contented with text messages. Our landline kept on ringing. Talk to the busy tone, you insensitive prick. I’m unhooking that phone line for the remainder of this match.

Thankfully, Manny Pacquiao won the match via TKO on the 10th round. And I was very satisfied with the way the match was fought. But for the spoilers of these events, I’m still a bit confused. What kind of satisfaction do you get by spoiling the excitement of a very good boxing match by informing others of the results while they are still watching the match unfold? I don’t get it. Really.

No comments: