Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Street Crime

It was a busy Saturday afternoon. I was on my way to deliver some shirts to one of our clients in Antipolo. Traffic was quite heavy approaching the junction in Cainta. So what's new?

One vehicle away from me was a long dump truck carrying a load of metal scraps covered by a tarpaulin. Parts of some metal scraps were protruding from the cover.

Waiting for the stoplight to turn green, I was observing the things around me. People started scampering for cover just as the drizzle started to fall. Damn. Just when you had a carwash.

A teenage boy, probably no more than 18 years of age, approached the truck in front of me. He climbed the back end of the truck and lifted the tarpaulin to reveal the metal scraps being covered. He started to rummage through the various pieces of metal in obvious search of something or some things in particular.

A second boy approached the back end of the truck. But he didn't climb it. And it was then that I realized what was going on. The boy ransacking the items aboard the truck dropped pieces of metal scraps to the boy waiting below. I guessed they were choosing which metal scraps would be of big value when they sell it to a nearby junk shop.


The door from the passenger seat of the truck opened as the driver's assistant probably realized what was going on at the back. He shouted at the boy who was still rummaging through the metals. The boy saw the assistant but he was undaunted. He continued handing down pieces of metal items to his accomplice below.

The truck assistant decided to approach the boys behind the truck, carrying a piece of metal pipe as his weapon. It was only then that Boy #1 decided to go down from the truck. But instead of running away from a very pissed off worker just trying to do his job, Boy #1 taunted the assistant to come and get him.

Boy #1 moved away from the truck towards the side of the street, still taunting. And with the truck assistant's attention focused on Boy #1 who was mocking him, it became Boy #2's turn to climb aboard the truck and continue rummaging through the items. He was able to steal a few more pieces before the truck assistant realized the ploy being played on him.

And it was then when both boys, deciding that they've already had enough items, walked away from the truck. They walked nonchalantly as if nothing happened. Boy #1 looked over his shoulder to see the truck assistant inspecting the damage done, realizing the futility of giving the two boys a chase. The assistant shouted invectives one more time at the two boys walking away. Boy #1 just gave him the finger.

Stoplight changed to green. Truck assistant went back to the passenger seat in front of the truck as vehicles started to move.

I was still shocked with the blatant criminal act I witnessed. Everything happened just a few meters away from me. All in one turn of the stoplight. And it was in full view of everyone stuck in that traffic jam.

Beep! Beep!

The car behind me honked for me to move on.

Still bothered with what I saw, I had to go with the flow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just passing through and this caught my attention. I just have to leave a comment. This crime you witnessed bothered you but didn't do anything about it?

A.R.Martinez said...

What do you suggest that I do when even the driver and his assistant just chose to drive away from the scene?

Anonymous said...

My point exactly, those criminals did what they did because they have probably done it several times before and nobody did anything. Per your story, they weren't even scared.
Maybe you could have honked your horn, called the cops?

Anonymous said...

that is a difficult situation. tsk tsk.

Anonymous said...

i also know this place. in a situation like this, sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do. either you become a hero, or beaten up by this guys or worst case, end up dead.

A.R.Martinez said...

I understand the point tfitz is driving at. And yes, it bothers me that I didn't do anything when I witnessed that crime. Maybe fear of what those criminals could do had I interfered overcame me.

What if I honked my horn and those boys decided to give my car a few dents or scratches using their metal pipes?

I guess I am doing the next best thing I can do. Blog about it.