Thursday, September 22, 2005

ACET, UPCAT, ATBP

I just learned while blog-surfing that the ACET has just been conducted last weekend. For those unfamiliar with it, it’s the Ateneo College Entrance Test.

And I was a bit surprised with a young girl’s blog entry about her ACET experience. She said that she was also surprised that she found it much easier than the UPCAT (UP College Admissions Test). She actually found the ACET fairly easy that she even had enough time to sleep when she finished one section of the test ahead of time. Wow!

I took 4 college entrance exams 18 years ago (all of which I passed, thank you). And with all due respect to the Maroons reading this blog, I found the UPCAT much easier than the ACET. Of course, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s harder to get in the Ateneo than to enter UP. It’s just the entrance exams I am talking about here. But for that kid to say that the ACET was easy, that certainly confuses me.

During our first few days as freshmen in the Ateneo, we did discuss the subject of the entrance exams. I told them that I never thought I would pass the ACET after taking it. And to my surprise, even the smartest among us, thought the same. And yes, I’m even talking about the Philippine representative to the International Math Olympiad here who didn’t finish the Math portion of the ACET himself. Whew, that was a sigh of relief for me there. I wasn’t as dumb as I thought I was after all.

I wouldn’t say that the UPCAT during my time was easy. But neither was it too hard. But the ACET? Man, oh, man. The perfect words to describe it would be frustratingly difficult. And that would even be an understatement when you compare it to another school’s entrance test (which I choose not to name). The other school’s entrance test was insultingly easy that I even found time to sleep when I finished one section of the exam way ahead of time. And no, I didn’t just get this idea from that girl who blogged about it. I swear it actually happened.

So, maybe the Ateneo did revise the ACET to become a bit easier. Or maybe UPCAT became harder. Or maybe that girl blogging just didn’t know what she was talking about.

Whatever it is, the entrance exam is just the first step. What matters more is how you stay in your chosen course and school.

And for all the energy and mindpower that the ACET drained off me, I can positively say that the whole Ateneo experience was well worth it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kulot,
Do they still have the NCEE? If I remember correctly that was really easy. I don't remember the ACET anymore. I always thought it was just an IQ test.


BTW congrats on the nice new look

PS did you listen to the Jpop tune that I sent? That bad huh?

A.R.Martinez said...

I think they already abolished the NCEE. I'm not really sure but I think they replaced it with another aptitude test.

Got bored with the old layout. Had to do some major tweaking of the previous design.

I already got the mp3 you sent me. But I still have to download a plug-in for me to convert it into mp3. Wala kasi akong iPod, =)

A.R.Martinez said...

just a correction ^
I meant I already got the music file (not mp3) you sent me. I'll listen to it and let you know what I think when I get the chance to convert it.

Anonymous said...

You can just download itunes from the apple site. I believe real player should also work with this file.