Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Play That Funky Music

It's true that I have an eclectic taste in music. I can appreciate most genres. Depending on my mood, I listen to different types of music.

For me, there are certain songs which I like to play when I'm driving. Well, let me qualify that coz driving music to me has different categories. Like when I'm driving alone, I like listening to house or hiphop music. Keeps me awake and alert. Plus, I feel cool, hoping that I also project that cool image when people see me from the outside (yeah, I wish). Sometimes I also do listen to FM radio just to get me updated on the songs being played on Philippine radio. But when I'm driving and I have company with me inside the car, I like playing singable tunes. OPM songs belong to this category. Nothing beats an instant karaoke session inside your car to keep you from being bored especially during long trips. Sleeping is strictly prohibited when I'm driving.

When working or doing something with my computer, that's the perfect time for me to listen to new CD's or any new music I've downloaded from the net (shhhh...). This is when I choose which tracks would be my favorites since they are catchy enough to get my attention from whatever it is I'm doing.


But if what I'm doing requires full concentration, like balancing my checkbook and trying to remember where all my money went, I prefer classical or broadway music. It seems to me that they do a great deal in stimulating my mind (but, unluckily, not in figuring out what's wrong with my budget).

Now, for party music, I have different levels for it. Hey, you're reading a DJ's blog here, remember? Depending on the age and taste of the people I am with, I have the special program prepared for them. Candy music when I want to play safe with my music (think Swing Out Sister). Nostalgic 80's new wave (from Aztec Camera to Yazoo) during drinking sessions which my Gen-X buddies. Head-bobbing RnB / hiphop / rap music when I'm with kids who associate the lyrics of "Every Breathe You Take" to P.Diddy (formerly Puff Daddy, and now wants to change it to Diddy; what's next? D?) in "I'll Be Missing You". And lastly there's pounding house music, all sub-genres of it - funky house, hard house, vocal house, techno-house for chest-thumping, feet-tapping, mood-setting dance atmosphere.

There's just this weird choice of music that I, myself, do not fully understand. And I remember this taste or habit dates back to my college days. Usually, after mindpower-sapping exams, when I get home, I lie down on my bed, turn up the volume of my player, and listen to heavy metal music until I fall asleep. Yup, hard, noisy, heavy, hardly-comprehensible, metal music. And I fall asleep listening to it.

I have a theory. Maybe when my brain detects this type of music, my brains cells go haywire trying to make sense of the auditory stimulus. And in the process, it eventually gives up on the task and consequentially goes into its emergency shut down mode. Thus, I easily fall asleep.

I wonder what would happen if I watch an Iron Maiden concert.

Hmmm...

Nah, I don't wanna risk being sent into a comatose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about J-Pop, do you listen to any?

Andy

A.R.Martinez said...

@andy
I haven't really been exposed to J-Pop yet. Maybe one of these days I'll download and get to listen to some.