Thursday, September 15, 2005

Starstruck in LA

The spring breeze in LA feels cooler than normal as it touches my skin. Yet I feel the dampness of my sweat hugging my body. This is the familiar nervous feeling I get whenever a big event in my life is about to happen. And today is gonna be one of them. I'm going to meet an idol I have long-dreamed of meeting since I was still a kid.

And as I enter his house, I feel my heartbeat getting faster and faster. Partly it may have been due to the fatigue brought about by this very busy day. Since early this morning, continuous activities filled my day. And this particular meeting shall be a high point in this very hectic, yet excitement-filled adventure.


A simple prayer is said in my mind. Please let everything turn out ok during this memorable event of my life.

I was half-expecting him to greet me as I entered his doorway. Maybe seated in his living room, he would motion for me to sit down with him and have coffee. But I knew that was wishful thinking. I knew that he is a very busy being. In fact, he is still currently attending to other people who were also longing to meet him. But I'm willing to wait for my chance to finally shake hands with him. I've travelled long and far just to be here. And a little more patience wouldn't hurt.

I survey the inside of his house. Everything is quite the way I expected it. The fun-filled atmosphere, the funky colors, the warm feeling of home as radiated by his sunny personality. I had my picture taken by his piano, imagining the moments when he would fill the room with the music he plays. I wonder what type of pieces does he like to play?

I also imagine him using that telephone by the corner. The conversations that the telephone was a party to. I could almost hear his snicker and laughter by this end of the phone conversation.

As I enter the other room, the excitement steadily grew. Right behind that wall is where I would finally meet him. I clasp together my clammy hands. I have to wipe them dry from all the nervousness I was feeling. Must project a good first impression to him as I shake his hand.

So this is it. The moment I have been dreaming of since I was a kid. Meeting him who has given me so much joy and laughter. Him who has been the symbol of dreams coming true. Finally, mine would come true today. Right here. Right now.

As I entered the room, I realized what starstruck deeply meant. For a moment, it failed to register to me as real. But it quickly faded as I approached him and shook his hand. Oh my God, he is real. I just shook his hand. And everything that followed felt like a scene from my own personal notion of heaven happening in slow motion.

A picture is very much treasured in moments like this. And so shots were taken. Pictures that I would forever cherish for the rest of my life.

Another short prayer is uttered in my mind.

Thank You, Lord, for finally letting me personally meet...

Mickey Mouse.

No comments: