Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Bedtime Stories

Some people I know have lots of rituals before they go to sleep. Some apply tons of cream on their faces in front of the mirror before going to bed. Remember Ly-na? I sure do. For those who are too young and lucky enough not to know what it is, well, it is a type of cream one could buy over the counter (maybe even from a sari-sari store) which, they say, possesses magical powers to whiten your facial skin. The nightmare of seeing it on our housemaid during night time when we were still young has forever scarred my memories.

Some girls comb their hair endlessly before they sleep. I really don't know what it does to the health of their hair. Does it straighten their hair more? Does it promote speedy growth? Does it make their hair more shiny? I remember my Mom once told me that the veterinarian of her pet maltese advised her to comb the hair of her pet so that it grows long, shiny, and tangle-free. The vet advised her to do it for about one hour every after bath. Of course, my mom didn't have the patience for that. She did the next most logical grooming method she knows -- cut the hair of her poor maltese when it grows to unmanageable length.

Wait, where was I? Oh yeah, the nocturnal habits.

I also have a strange sleeping habit. No, it's not a kinky one, you green-minded smart-ass. I actually didn't know it was a weird one until some friends took notice during one of those groups outings.

When I go to sleep, I usually just wear boxers and sando or any air-cool shirt (translation: shirt full of holes that if I wore it outside our house, the security guard of our village would ask me for identification to verify if I really live here).

But what makes my night time fashion sense weird isn't the 'holey' wardrobe preference. It's with the way I wear them. I like to tuck my shirt in my boxers before going to sleep. Yup, tuck in, baby. Why? Because I like to. Because I do not enjoy the feeling of my tummy or my backside being exposed when I sleep. Because I want to compensate for the squatter look of my clothes with the formality of the way I carry myself in my sleep.

You, what's your ritual when going to sleep?

4 comments:

Angel said...

I sleep with an arm under my pillow. I also wear socks to bed not because my feet are cold but because I slather lotion or baby oil on my feet every night and the socks helps to keep the oil or lotion from rubbing off onto the bed. Makes my feet smooth.

(S)wine said...

i'm an insomniac

Nikki said...

I have to wash my face, apply lavish amounts of moisturizer, and smoke one last cigarette before I can sleep.

A.R.Martinez said...

@angel
Here in the Philippines, wearing socks to bed seems unthinkable due to our climate. But I do remember doing that during winter when I still lived in LA.

@nikki
Your routine is kinda similar to that of me and my wife. But I would stop on the washing of the face. While my wife, maybe just like you, takes forever in the bathroom when applying her moisturizer.