Sunday, September 11, 2005

Cruise Control

It was only yesterday that I realized that the Star Tollway in Batangas is a place in the Philippines where you can actually use the Cruise Control System. (The only other length of highway I can think of that can rival it would be the new and improved stretch of the North Luzon Expressway.) Not that I was actually able to use Cruise Control since my humble Crosswind doesn't have that feature installed in it. And I know that it is quite unheard of here in the Philippines since the traffic situation here wouldn't even allow a driver to step on the accelerator for more than ten seconds straight without rear-ending the vehicle in front of it. Not even along the misnomered South Superhighway.

But having lived in the States for a while, I know the convenience the Cruise Control System gives to drivers especially for those long drives going from LA to Las Vegas during those long weekends. And yesterday, driving along the Star Tollway in Batangas, I wish I had this feature in my car. It would have given my right foot more resting time which would be later needed when I return to Manila for its normal stop-and-go traffic.

Did you know that the Cruise Control feature is more common with American cars than with their European counterparts? It is simply because the roads in America are generally wider, straighter and destinations are relatively farther apart. It would seem that those Americans have less stressful driving experiences. Of course, I can almost hear those Southern California drivers who trek the 405 daily during rush hour disagreeing with me. But that is more of an exception, I guess.

So, as I blankly stared at the seemingly endless road ahead of me, I tried to keep myself awake by chatting with my 8-year old nephew, who tenaciously insisted on sitting in the front passenger seat, thus effectively displacing my wife to the back seat.

All of a sudden, vvrroooooooommmm!!!

A white sedan zoomed by the other lane so fast that it somehow jolted me from my mindless driving.

It was a Bimmer, 316i I believe. Though I am not really sure if I saw it correctly since it passed by real fast that for just one single second after it zoomed right beside us, it was already a good 15 meters ahead of us.

I looked at my speedometer. I was doing 110. I did some quick calculations in my mind. One second, 15 meters, 15 x 60 equals 900, 900 x 60 equals 54,000. (I know, I'm such a geek.) Damn! That Bimmer was doing 50-60 kph faster than our current speed. Around 160 - 170 kph. Is there any place in the Philippines where speed limits are actually implemented? Really. I am starting to believe those speed limits, like most traffic signs here the Philippines, are mere suggestions.

The American Cruise Control System. And the superiority of German engineering. Wouldn't it be so kewl if I had them in my car? But then again, I do not really pass by the Star Tollway that often so I actually have seldom use for them. And during these times when oil companies increase their fuel prices faster than a Ferrari on steroids, I would still prefer my diesel-fed Isuzu Crosswind. Especially on these long road trips.

My trip may take a bit longer. But I'm pretty sure my gas money will also go a longer way. If I had the hard statistics here with me, I'll volunteer to do the math again for your comparison.

I told you, I'm a geek. A very practical geek at that.

No comments: