Sunday, September 04, 2005

A Complete Trip Down Memory Lane

Coming out from the oven-hot Blue Eagle Gym, the rain seemed to complement the gloomy feeling we had as UST dealt us a disrespectful loss which broke our team's 7-game winning streak. This wasn't supposed to happen. Not in our house.

As we approach the muddy spot where we parked our car, the memories start rushing in.

"This spot where we parked our car used to be all green. Part of that expansive field that is now slowly being occupied by new buildings. I remember that we even ran across this field before as we tried to launch our kites during one of our PE classes in college," I tell my wife.

"You flew kites in college?" my wife asks trying to confirm if she heard it right.

"Yup, one of those stupid PE classes that was left open since all the other classes were already filled up by the time I got to register. It was called Recreational PE," I tell my wife.

"And you flew kites for PE?" my wife asks again, implying that it was unthinkable for college kids to run around these fields like young children released in a playground.

"Among other things. We sometimes played mini-golf, watched movies, played board games, those sorts of stuff. Anything goes actually. But what we liked most about it was that we mostly had free cuts. So we had time to do some others things. You know how college life is," I explained to her.

"Ayus ah," my wife replies as she tries to avoid the mud spots while she gets into our car. It was a right decision for her just to wear flipflops.

I wipe off my forehead with my hanky. It was already a mixture of sweat and raindrops from the drizzle. I inhaled one last breath as I entered the car. The air still smelled the way I remember it. And I recall telling my wife before when she asked how come most Atenistas are mayayabang, I replied, "It's in the air that we breathe."

"Looks like the jinx is alive in me once again," pronounces my wife inside the car referring to her bad luck of the Eagles losing everytime she watches the game live.

"Nah, UST deserved that win. All their three-point shots were falling in. But despite the loss, I did have a good time. The last-ditch rally gave us all the adrenaline-rush we wanted. And the halftime show by the Band was hilarious," I reply referring to the lesser-exposed members of the Blue Babble Battalion who performed their traditional one-game halftime show for the season.

"Yup, that was funny. Even the cheerleaders from the UST side were applauding," my wife agrees.

The deafening sound of the bass drums. The stifling heat inside the gym. The sight of the spacious Ateneo fields. The distinct smell of the air inside our campus. And the feel of the hallowed grounds under my feet.

Just one more sense to satisfy in order to complete this trip down memory lane. And as our car exits the gate of the Loyola campus, I spotted it immediately.

I quickly maneuvered to stop by the side of Katipunan to buy the taste I distinctly relate to the Ateneo.

The famous Ateneo corn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Ateneo campus! Even though it has changed a lot since we graduated from college, it still feels like home.

A.R.Martinez said...

Nice to know you came back to visit my blog again, my dear sister, Tish.

Yup, the words "home" and "family" have become synonymous with Ateneo for you and me.

It just sucks when you visit the college quad and discover that they've already removed your favorite bench.