Sunday, August 07, 2005

Blame It On The Rain

"Nakakahiya ka kagabi." tells my wife, smiling.

I know what my wife is talking about. We were at a house party with our barkada. And I was dancing and singing my lungs out last night.

Blame it on the booze. The celebrants prepared enough booze to send us all into a coma. Though I only had around fives bottles of light beer last night, the effects were felt until early this morning as I woke up. Or maybe I had more than five. Oh hell, I don't know really. I usually lose count after my fourth bottle.

Blame it on my DJ friends who handled the decks. I decided I preferred handling beer bottles over manning the decks last night. And they did a pretty swell job of bringing out the party animals inside of us. They started out with foot-thumping, head-bobbing, uber-cool house music. But as the night wore on, and the crowd started getting tipsy, the general rule for any house party is: let them hear what pumps them up. And in a party demographics of mostly Gen-Xers, old music of the 80s is definitely the way to go.

Blame it on the lyrics of those 80s songs. Lyrics that are imprinted in our memories and we just couldn't help but sing along with them. Never mind if sablay every once in a while.

From Madonna's Material Girl:

Some boys kiss me
Some boys hug me
I think they're all gay*
If they don't give me
Proper credit
I just walk away

*should be: I think they're okay

Or Toni Basil's Mickey

It's guy like you Mickey
I want to do Mickey, do Mickey**
Don't break my heart Mickey

**should be: Oh what you do Mickey, do Mickey
Blame it on my wife who loves dancing the swing. That somehow set the dancing mood for the night. But I really can't recall how one moment we were dancing the swing, and the next moment I was pushed in the middle of the dance floor with the rest of my crazy barkada while we did our imitation of the Michael Jackson moonwalks and crotch-grabbing dance moves. The type of dancing you wouldn't want your kids to see lest they lose respect for their parents.

Blame it on my crazy friends. Craziness does get contagious. And the effects usually worsen when alcohol gets into the bloodstream.

Or as one of those 80s song goes, just blame it on the rain.

I just decided I shall never drink again with these guys. At least, that's my decision... for now.

No comments: