Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Palusot Pa

Here's another bar scene anecdote that really happened not too long ago to someone I know. I think I may be missing up on witnessing funny bloopers like this one now that I am officially retired from the nocturnal habit.

Mike (not his real name, but he also uses it just the same) just went back to their table near the DJ's booth. He just finished gyrating to the sound of 50 Cent with this girl he just met on the dancefloor a while ago.

While waiting for the drinks they ordered to arrive, the two of them go through the let's-exchange-bio-data game. As they say, to know each other better.

"So, how old are you?" Mike asks.


"Twenty-three" she answers.

"Still studying?"

"Nope. I'm working for an investment house in Makati right now."

"Nice." He forgets what to ask next. The investment part kinda threw him off. He knows zilch about that subject.

"How about you? Are you still studying?" The girl's turn to ask questions.

"Yup, I'm taking up Accounting" Mike starts lying. And Accounting was the first course that came into his mind.

"Really? Which school?" she inquires.

"Ateneo." he says non-chalantly.

"De Manila?"


"Yup."

A confused look appears across the girl's face.


She wonders, "Funny, I graduated from the Ateneo and I don't recall them offering an Accounting degree."

Shit! How early to be caught in a lie. But Mike is unfazed. He shifts into higher gear on his bola mode.

"Huh? Why? When did you graduate?" Mike asks trying to be cool about it but the stutter gave him away.

"Umm, two years ago.

"I knew it. Ateneo just started offering the course last year. That's probably the reason why you didn't know about it." An escape answer he pulled out of thin air.


The girl lifts an eyebrow. This guy is incredible. Incredible in a bullshitty kind of way.

Their drinks arrive. The girl takes a sip of her vodka. And Mike takes three long gulps of his Colt45.

In a place as loud as this bar, Mike hates the totally uncomfortable silence between him and the girl.

Of all the courses in the world, why Accounting in the Ateneo? Damn it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't tell me you are the guy. :)

A.R.Martinez said...

@kates
Hahaha! Trust me, this wasn't me. But he does use the name "Mike" as the name of his gimik alter-ego.