Monday, August 15, 2005

Something Fishy

Yesterday, we went to Cartimar, the Mecca of pet hobbyists, to buy our new pet.

We decided to get an Australian Gold Arowana. Why? Well, the Malaysian Silver is just too common while the Malaysian Gold is a bit too expensive. And I have researched that the Australian Gold is the most aggressive in the Arowana family. I'm just having a fish as a pet, right? Since my wife won't allow me to take care of dogs, might as well choose a gung ho arowana. Who knows, if it gets big enough, I might even be able to teach it to jump out of its aquarium and attack intruders who get into our house.

So I entered every shop in Cartimar selling Australian Gold Arowanas. I somehow got a taste of revenge on my wife who followed me into each store I visit. I wanted to say, "See, that's how it feels when I follow you to every shop in the mall only to find our way back to the very first one we visited just to be able to buy that accessory you're looking for." What goes around comes around.

So after a quick deliberation, we decided to buy the prettiest one we've seen at the price range we have initially set. We were satisfied and we were very excited.

We also decided to buy guppies as food for our newest pet. Enough of them just so they can have a decent house-warming party with our Arowana when they splash into that newly-set up aquarium.

On the way home, we decided that we should give our new pet a name. The name Elijah Collins came up again (see previous entry), but it didn't sound right to be a fish name. And after a thorough discussion, we decided to choose a name popular enough, but not commonly used as a fish name. The name connotes beauty, grace, strength, power and superiority.

We shall call our arowana "Darna".

And those guppies? They are Darna's nemesis for aquarium supremacy. But it doesn't fit that I call them the Giants (as in Darna and the Giants). So we shall just collectively call them as the Lilliputians.

A battle rages on in our aquarium. Darna vs the Lilliputians.

No comments: