Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Jologs Cellphone

"Why don't you buy a new cellphone?" the wife suggests.

"What's wrong with my present cellphone?" her husband asks, waving off the suggestion.

"It's jologs. That's what's wrong with it," wife mocks hubby.

"Hey, hey, hey! Feature per feature, your cellphone is even more jologs than mine. It just so happened that I got this cellphone at a lot cheaper price than yours. Yours can't even play true tones or mp3's. It only has polyphonic ring tunes. It's just a clamshell phone; that's why it somehow looks more fashionable."

"I'm upgrading my cellphone pretty soon," wife proudly says.

"Good for you. Now, leave my cellphone alone," hoping the argument ends.

"Kakahiya naman yang phone mo. Other people might say you can't even afford to buy a new one."

"Well, I don't really care. And besides, it's true that I can't afford to buy the cellphone that I really, really want... yet!" It's some sort of an excuse the husband uses to delay buying a new phone.

"Dream on. You might never be able to buy that 9500 you've been drooling over for the past few months. Why don't you settle for a lesser cellphone? You know that it is nearly impossible for you to buy that with your current income."

"It is the only cellphone which satisfies the extra feature that I really want. And that is wi-fi connectivity." True, which makes his excuse valid.

"What's that? Wi-fi?" wife asks.

"It's the thing that makes it possible for you to use my laptop inside our house to surf the net without using any cables."

"Ahh.. you mean not all laptops can do that?"

"Sus." Husband rolls his eyes over. "And who's jologs now with that wi-fi set up? How many people here in the Philippines do you know have a wireless set up for their DSL connection in their homes?"

"So that's what that cheap home-made satellite dish, or whatever you call it, is for?"

"That's a parabolic antenna, my dear," explains the husband. "And I just saved you two thousand bucks coz I was resourceful enough to research that on the net, and make one myself."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever! Jologs pa rin cellphone mo!" Sort of a rebuttal from the wife.

"Well, it's not your problem anymore," husband answers, getting irritated now.

"Why don't you buy a new cellphone with a much nicer mp3 player, or the one with a higher resolution camera?" wife insists again.

"If I wanted to listen to music, I would listen to my MiniDisc player. I know that it's not a very common format here in the Philippines. But the sound quality I get from it, and the convenience of recording my mixes fit my unique needs as a DJ. And on the photo-capturing aspect, I am still saving up for that DSLR that you know would be a lifetime investment for me. I'd rather use a real digital camera than use my cellphone when capturing those Kodak moments."

"Cheapskate jologs!" wife mumbles under her breath.

It becomes pointless to pursue the argument at this stage. So, husband just keeps quiet.

The above dialogue really happened. Names have been withheld to protect the well-being of the husband.

4 comments:

Analyse said...

pinoys and cellphones, they marry together. i wasn't a victim of that maladie tho..here in france, they dont really care a lot, as long as it works and they have the functionality they need (read: call functionalities), ok na. dont be surprised of how jologs their cellphones are!

the last time i was in the philippines, my friends and sisters had better cellphones than what i have, one even commented how jologs it was...eh ano ngayon? i would rather spend my money in other stuffs than having that status symbol which wont really serve me here.

duke said...

you really made your own parabolic antenna (or whatever it's called)??!!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. Natatamaan ako. Hindi naman talaga dapat pabaguhan ng cellphone and laban. Kung gumagana pa yung cellphone at nakakatawag at nakakatext ka pwede na. Tama ka. Kung gusto kong kumuha ng picture, camera gagamitin ko. Kaya nga may camera eh.

Pangit din kung all in one ang gadget mo. Pag sira ng isa sira lahat.

A.R.Martinez said...

@analyse
Yes, only in the philippines will you find a person earning Php 12-15k a month buying a cellphone worth 20-25k... Onli in da pilipins...

@duke
Pre, sounds hi-tech lang coz of the term parabolic (a term that gave us all headaches when we were in HS). But that antenna can be compared to a grade school art project.

It gets the job done though. I can concentrate the signal of my Wi-fi access point to any area in the house I want it to.

@kates
I've never been a fan of the all-in-one gadgets. Like the fax machine / copier / printer / telephone / answering machine / washing machine / dryer / microwave oven / coffeemaker / doorbell. Once it bogs down, all functionalities become unusable.

Besides, you can never expect the same quality to be crammed into those multi-function devices as compared to having them separately.