Thursday, August 18, 2005

Devirginized

"I'm sorry Anna, I didn't know it's gonna be like this. It's not usually like this, I swear."

The girl, Anna, was close to tears. Almost trembling as she looks around her surroundings. She kept quiet. This is her first time to do it. And she trusted her friend to guide her through since her friend has already done it many times before.

Maybe she wanted to tell her friend, "You told me it wasn't such a big deal. But now, we're like stuck here with all these people. Iiwwww! And now you tell me you didn't know it was gonna be like this? I'm so like claustrophobic pa naman. You're so gonna get it from me once this is over."

All the while, my wife was observing the two of them. They somehow caught her attention from the start. Maybe it was the familiar Assumption uniform. Probably my wife immediately identified with them since once upon a time, she was like them too -- wide-eyed Assumptionistas culture-shocked when immersed in the real world.

The men also took notice. The two colegialas stood out like a sore thumb in this mix of people. Show your weakness and those testosterone-overdosed males will be ready to pounce on a prey like Anna. Anna's friend knows how this goes. And she would not leave Anna alone to do this.

My wife wanted to approach the girl named Anna who seemed very bothered. Very uneasy in this situation she has never experienced before. My wife wanted to console Anna and tell her, "Hija, this is really how it goes in the real world. Get out of your protective shell. There is more to life than socializing with your conyo friends back in San Lo."

But my wife knew Anna must make it on her own. This is her first time alright. But she must survive this to make it in this dog-eat-dog world in a few years.

As Anna gets off the Guadalupe station, her friend reminds her, "Text me, Anna ha, when you get home. I wanna make sure you got home safely."


My wife wonders how Anna assesses her obviously first time to take the MRT.

This is the night Anna got devirginized by the MRT rush hour madness.

1 comment:

A.R.Martinez said...

Salamat for the kind words.

We don't really know who Anna is. Nakasabay lang ng wife ko sa MRT on her way home last night. And my wife just relayed the story to me.

She overheard their conversation habang nagtutulakan ang mga tao sa punong-punong MRT. And yes, Anna, apparently, is her real name, as her friend calls her.